Walton Castle is a Grade II listed detached hill top property enjoying glorious 360 degree views over wooded North Somerset countryside on one side and across the Bristol Channel to Wales on the other. With a heated indoor swimming pool and games room there is plenty of entertainment for all at this unique Castle.
Click image on the left to enlarge
SLEEPS 16+ GUESTS in NORTH SOMERSET * Indoor heated swimming pool with swim jet * Games room with pool table * Stunning 360 degree views across land and sea * Grounds adjoining golf course * Octagonal kitchen with white AGA * Original art work
The Accommodation Sleeps up to a maximum of 16 guests in 8 double bedrooms. Another two guests can be accommodated on put up beds
- Main entrance through to hallway.
- Steps up to kitchen with oven, Aga, fridge-freezer, dishwasher, microwave, granite work surfaces, marble floor and breakfast table.
- Turning staircase down to lower ground floor.
LOWER GROUND FLOOR:
- Separate wc.
- 2 double bedrooms each with double beds.
- Bathroom with large Jacuzzi bath and twin basins.
- Indoor heated swimming pool via separate entrance down steps. Changing area.
- Sitting room with large fireplace, TV and gas coal-effect fire.
- Archway to adjoining ‘music room’.
- Master bedroom with 6ft6′ bed and en-suite bathroom with roll-top bath.
- Roof terrace with stunning views, ideal for pre-dinner drinks.
THE TURRETS: There are seven separate turrets each located 30 yards across the courtyard from The Keep.
- Turret 1 – Dining room
- Turret 2 – Utility room with wc
- Turret 3 – Double bedroom with shower and wc
- Turret 4 – Double bedroom with shower and wc
- Turret 5 – Double bedroom with en-suite shower room and wc
- Turret 6 – Self-contained apartment comprising sitting room with double bed, double sofa bed, shower room, kitchen and home cinema room with plasma screen
- Turret 7 – Double bedroom with shower and wc
THE GROUNDS: The whole site consists of 3.8 acres which adjoins the Clevedon Golf Course. The main lawned area is completely private as it lies within the Castle walls to the west side of The Keep. There is ample parking. Please note that the gardener makes several visits each week. Guest privacy will be respected at all times.
HISTORY: The site dates back as far as the Iron Age with Walton Castle set upon a hill fort. Reference is also made in The Doomsday Book as belonging to ‘Gunni The Dane’. However the construction as we now see it took place, according to Pevsner, between 1615 and 1620. It was designed for Lord John Poulett, a Somerset M.P. as a hunting lodge. An influential local royalist family of which Walton was one of their far-flung estates acquired by marriage. However the Civil War marked a decline in the Poulett’s fortunes. By 1791 the Castle was derelict, the roof and floors had fallen in and part of the buildings were used as a dairy by a local farmer. Despite its exposed position, the structure remained and retained controversy meriting Pevsner’s description in 1957 as “remarkable as a piece of ornamental planning”. The owner acquired the property in 1984 being in a partly restored, partly ruined condition. Over the last 19 years the property has been restored fully to its former glory building upon the old foundations and now offering all modern conveniences in both a contemporary and traditional style.
- All utilities including heating for the pool but excluding use of landline
- Bed linen, towels and toiletries
- Hire of cot and high chair
Additional Services The following services are available on request for which there will be an additional charge:
- Hire of cook or chef
- Maid service
- Visits by Aromatherapists, Reflexologists and Beauticians
- Taxi service
- Golf on the adjacent course
Walton Castle has a civil wedding licence which means you can have a totally unique wedding celebration and be married on site. The wedding planner at Walton Castle will work with you to help you plan the wedding of your dreams! help is given as much or as little as you you require. There is a one off fee and there is no corkage charge. The price is bespoke and it depends on your requirements. Flexibility is the key and you will be given a price for day rates as well as midweek packages and of course a full weekend wedding. Please let us know what you have planned and we can help you have the wedding you have always dreamt of!
- Visit SS Great Britain in Bristol Docks
- Visit Clifton Suspension Bridge, Clifton Village and Bristol Zoo
- Visit Tyntesfield House
- Explore Bath
- Explore Tintern Abbey and the Wye Valley (via the Severn Bridge)
- Discover Cheddar Gorge and Wookey Hole Caves
- Visit Wells, Glastonbury Tor and the Clarks retail village at Street
- See Chew Valley and Blagdon Lakes in the Mendip Hills
- Attend Badminton Horse Trials (May)
- Ramble the Quantock Hills and Exmoor
- Campbells Landing (Clevedon – 15 minutes walk)
- Moon & Sixpence (Clevedon – 15 minutes walk)
- The Old Inn, Clevedon: 01275 340440
- Little Harp Inn, Clevedon: 01275 343739
- Black Horse Inn, Clapton in Gordano: 01275 842105
- Moorend Sprout, Nailsea: 01275 855336
- Junior Poon (Chinese), Clevedon: 01275 341900
- il Giardino (Italian), Clevedon: 01275 878832
- Murrays (International) Clevedon: 01275 341294
- Monsoon (Indian),Clevedon: 01275 340410