The Quarry is located in an elevated position and has half an acre of private, terraced gardens with outstanding sea views of Ilfracombe. This gorgeous house has a cosy log fireplace in the lounge, a lovely warm AGA in the brightly decorated kitchen, and a large sun terrace, perfect for admiring the spectacular view.
Click image on the left to enlarge
SLEEPS 13 GUESTS in NORTH DEVON * Stunning sea views * Large spacious interiors * Child friendly * Detached vine room * Full SKY package with WIFI * Tunnels Beach within walking distance * Original art work in all rooms
The Accommodation The accommodation sleeps up to a maximum of 13 adults and 2 children in 7 bedrooms.
- Large attached conservatory with entrance porch entering into
- Long Hallway with hooks for coats at one end
- Sitting room leading onto formal dining room and library. A magnificent 34 ft long room with windows and French doors leading out onto the sea view terrace. Working log fire at sitting room end. 42″ widescreen plasma TV with full sky package, seating in three large comfortable sofas.
- Dining room – library end with huge oak table and chairs to seat 12 guests, library shelves with various books, games and a selection of DVD’s.
- Kitchen with dining room area with table and chairs to seat 6 guests. Miele extra size oven and grill, Miele gas hob with extractor, Gas 2 oven AGA which is always kept on, dishwasher, American fridge freezer which dispenses filtered water and ice, toaster, and kettle. French doors leading to the kitchen terrace. Walk in larder with microwave and wine racks. French doors to side with access to side garden.
- Laundry room with butlers sink, washing machine and tumble drier. Hooks for coats. Lots of room for boots and shoes.
- Downstairs wc.
- Bedroom 1 – king size bed. Large bay window with views over Ilfracombe and out to sea, two wardrobes.
- Bedroom 2 – two single beds, two sash windows with views over Ilfracombe and out to sea, wardrobe, single futon chair which can be made into a single bed for a child.
- Bedroom 3 – A single bed. Window with views over the hills.
- Main bathroom – Huge bathroom with original Victorian claw foot bath, separate shower with 14 inch rose, wc and sink.
- Bedroom 4 with en suite – king size bed with steps up to the Victorian conservatory room with a sink, wc and shower.
- Bedroom 5 – Double bed with views over Ilfracombe and out to sea
- Bedroom 6 – King size bedroom with views over Ilfracombe and out to sea. TV with DVD player. En suite which has shower, sink and wc. Single futon armchair that can be made into a single bed for a child.
- Bedroom 7 – Double bed, window with countryside views up to the hills.
- Bathroom – lovely bathroom with bath, shower, wc and sink.
- ‘Art’ room – Former artist’s studio room, now a small kitchen with long sink, fridge, kettle, table and 4 chairs and access to the back garden.
Secret garden half way up the drive, pretty and level garden surrounded by shrubs and flowers. Detached vine room – large Victorian conservatory with grape vines and a nectarine tree. This is a great place to relax. French doors onto a terrace with outside table to seat 14 guests. Kitchen Terrace with small fish pond and a bench. Large charcoal barbecue. Front terrace accessed from the lounge/dining room with amazing views over the town and sea, table and chairs to seat 6 guests, leading to a side garden with decking, small grassy area with a beautiful handmade wooden Wendy house. The front terrace is a perfect place for even tiny children to play as it is large, flat and completely enclosed by fences. Steps up to the back garden – large sloping terraced area with ‘natural’ garden and mature trees. Direct access onto the South West Coastal path and down to the secret beaches at the back of the house. Please note there are steep drops in the back garden so small children must be supervised. There is parking by the house for 3 cars, also parking available on the road at the bottom of the drive.
Ilfracombe House was built in 1890 as a holiday home for an Admiral and his family. The house still maintains many impressive original features, but has been sympathetically brought up to date by the current owners.
- Welcome provisions of home made scones, local jam, butter, clotted cream, milk, coffee and tea
- Molton Brown shower gel
- Linen and towels (not beach towels)
- Supply of logs
Additional Services The following services are available on request for which there will be an additional charge:
- Chef or cook
- Grocery packing for internet orders
- Housekeeping services
- Visit Tunnels Beach complete with Victorian bathing pool carved out of the rocks, rock pools, seaview tikki bar, sea kayaking, café and children’s play area
- Walk the South West Coastal path to the Grampus Pub at Lee
- Visit Woolacombe Beach a 10 minute drive, 3 miles of golden sand and highly regarded surf
- Visit Puttsborough a slightly quieter place than Woolacombe with a good beach café and rock pools
- Visit Croyde and enjoy its golden sands, surf and a pretty village
- Play golf at Saunton Sands Golf Club. It is widely regarded as one of the top links courses in the country. The magnificent course follows the dramatic UNESCO protected Burrows site along the shoreline
- Play around of golf at Ilfracombe Golf Club, it is a beautiful course set into the hills with magnificent views out to sea
- Ilfracombe Aquarium. During peak season there is often a classic old merry go round near the Landmark, a kids ‘train’ down to the harbour from here, and a horse drawn carriage from the harbour up to the landmark
- Boat trips from Ilfracombe Harbour
- Sea Kayaking Southwest
Pubs and Restaurants
- No 11 The Quay
- Espresso cafe bar & grill Tel 01271 855485
- The Electric Tel 01271 878411
- Barricane Beach Café
- Mortehoe Shellfish Tel 01271 870633
- La Gendamerie Tel 01271 865984
- The Terrace Tapas Bar Tel 01271 863482
- Hen parties considered
- Well behaved dog considered