Carr Hall Castle
Carr Hall Castle is built in the style of a Norman Castle and is a Grade II folly. It sits in a secluded, wooded valley, adjacent to a deer park and close to Halifax in West Yorkshire. This property has a luxurious indoor heated swimming pool perfect for a relaxing weekend stay with friends or family.
Click image on the left to enlarge
SLEEPS 10 GUESTS in YORKSHIRE * Large indoor heated swimming pool * Jacuzzi / Hot tub * Gym * Steam room * Twelve acres of grounds including a beautiful lake with private fishing and a boat exclusively for guests use
The Accommodation The accommodation sleeps up to a maximum of 10 guests in five Bedrooms two of which have en suites. There is also a family bathroom and two shower rooms. This property is very modern and high tech inside, yet from the outside it looks like a traditional castle.
- Ground Floor:
- Dining Room: Large dining table with glass top seating 10 guests on leather chairs. There is a cosy log fire, stone floor, extensive wood panelling, mood lighting and lovely views to the front lawns. A sound system with an ipod dock can be used if you choose to bring your own selection of music with you
- Kitchen: Fully equipped breakfast kitchen with eye catching red AGA, kitchen table and chairs for more informal dining. There is a dishwasher, fridge, microwave oven, kettle, toaster. For entertainment there is a satellite TV and an ipad. Utility room with American style fridge freezer with ice maker, washing machine, tumble dryer, ironing facilities, vacuum and sink
- Sitting Room: Luxurious suede sofas with warming log fire, 60″ satellite TV and a panoramic window with views towards swimming pool. There is a sound system, Blu ray and DVD player and games consoles
- Conservatory: Floor to ceiling glass windows with views of water wheel and rear gardens giving a very calming and relaxing feel to this room. Sumptuous velvet sofas and luxury carpet. Contemporary glass door leading to the kitchen.
- Indoor Swimming Pool: Heated pool with removable cover. Private shower and toilet facilities. Lounge area with leather sofas, sound system and plasma satellite television. Interior and exterior access to swimming pool via indoor bridge. Exterior hot tub on raised decking patio with outdoor furniture
- Gym: Air conditioned with treadmill, cross trainer, free weights and bench weights. Sound system and windows to plasma television
- First Floor:
- Double Bedroom (en suite double): Super king size bed, with dressing room, plasma TV with satellite TV, en suite shower room. Hairdryer provided
- Double Bedroom 2: King size bed, built in wardrobes. There is an Apple Computer for guests use. This room gives lovely views of the water wheel and gardens
- Double Bedroom 3: King size bed, built in wardrobes. Views of the rear gardens
- Double Bedroom 4: Bell tower feature and arrow slit windows with wooden shutters. Plasma satellite TV with leather panelled wall. Door leading to indoor access to swimming pool and massage room. Staircase leading to bedroom 5
- Double Bedroom 5 (en suite double): Staircase from bedroom 4 to dressing room with fitted wardrobes, contemporary bathroom with shower, his and hers hand basins and lounger. This bedroom is under the eaves with exposed beams and brickwork to walls giving it great character
- Family Bathroom 1: Luxury mosaic tiled bathroom with walk in Steam room/shower, bath with television over
- Family Bathroom 2: Round bathroom built into castle turret with slit windows. Luxurious shower cubicle
The Grounds Extensive private parking to front and rear of property. Private driveway with electric gates and remote keyless access fob provided for guests. Deer park setting. Working water wheel, lake, bridge, bbq area with gas bbq and seating, chiminea, cobbled courtyard with outdoor furniture, extensive lawns to front and rear. Woodland walks, landscaped gardens, private woodland. Cobbled arched walkway with views to swimming pool.
History In 2008 Carr Hall Castle was voted ‘Britain’s Best Home’ in a Channel Five series, however this Grade II folly which looks like a Norman castle started life in the early 19th Century as a humble farmhouse and barn for breeding shire horses. These buildings were converted into a castle by the Shaw family in about 1860 but they never lived in the castle, they simply wanted to create a picturesque view and being the owners of one of the biggest woollen mills in Yorkshire, they could afford to indulge their fantasies. They decided on a castle design after getting inspiration from their travels on the grand tour of Europe. The castle has all the typical elements of battlements, towers with arrow slit windows and arch headed windows.
The cottage next to the castle was used by the farm manager but over the years the properties gradually fell into disrepair. The buildings were bought and partially modernised in 1964, before being sold in 2002 to the current owners who have created a wonderful contemporary interior and converted the stable block into a fantastic indoor swimming pool and gym. The ruins of a mill stand in the twelve-acre grounds and there is also a working water wheel.
- Towels and bed linen
Additional Services The following services are available on request for which there will be an additional charge:
- Chef/catering services
- Maid service for linen changes
- Spa Treatments
- Private Swimming Lessons
- Eureka is the national children’s museum
- The Piece Hall in Halifax
- Bankfield Museum
- Halifax Playhouse
- Shibden Hall
Pubs and Restaurants
- The Rock Restaurant
- 1885 Restaurant
- Da Sandro’s in Huddersfield
- The New Inn
- Julio’s Italian Restaurant
- Design House Restaurant
- last minute one night stays available at Carr Hall for up to six guests at £1,995 and for seven to ten guests at £2,495
- High Season (1 May to 30 September)
- Low Season (1 October to 30 April excluding bank holidays, Christmas and New Year)
- Minimum seven night stay over Christmas or New Year
- Minimum four night stay over Bank Holidays
- Civil wedding ceremonies in the beautiful Watermill Suite in the grounds with the wedding breakfast taking place inside the Castle. The additional cost for hosting a ceremony is £750. Please ask for more details
- Hen parties considered
- Stag parties considered